Aug 6, 2012

0

So I've Been Thinking.... #2: Fads, a Confession, & Harry Potter

We've all seen the crazy hair feathers. And the saggy pants. And let's not forget Twilight.

Fads are everywhere. They dictate what we should and should not be doing based on what is cool at the moment, but within a year or two, their most ardent supporters suddenly become the very ones laughing in their faces. They get turned on because something shinier has come along, and everyone completely forgets why they started loving them in the first place.

For the record, though, let me say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with fads. Quite often they're the key to introducing you to something wonderful, something you never would have known about had it not been for its sudden popularity. But there is something wrong with pretending to love something just because everyone else seems to think you need to.

Sure, there is probably a pretty good reason why so many people seem to adore it, but that doesn't mean it's the right reason for you. Everybody is different, and we don't all have the same tastes. Sure it would make marketing a whole lot easier, but where's the fun in that? That would make me no different than a circus clown, and while I'm sure they're wonderful people, I don't plan on going to clown college anytime soon.

There are books out there that I love that never seem to get any of the attention they deserve (cough, cough, Tamora Pierce), and there are very popular books out there that I just don't see the allure of. So I suppose I might as well get around to the confession, now. Deep breath....

I've never read Harry Potter.

Yes, yes, I know, how can I call myself a respectable young adult book lover (and a fantasy one at that) and not have read the Harry Potter series? Honestly? I'm not really sure. The entire premise of those books is so up my ally that I can't believe nothing ever.... clicked.

I got through the first half of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but after that I just couldn't take it anymore. I don't know if it was the writing style I had a problem with or that it had a slow beginning. The book just didn't work for me. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Just because you aren't obsessed with the same thing everybody else is doesn't make you any less of a person. In fact, it just might make you more.

Now, I'm not saying that just because I didn't like Harry Potter that there is something horribly wrong with everybody who does; that completely gets rid of my point here. What you should be proud of is the fact that you chose whether or not this was the thing for you.

Either way is fine by me. If you don't like the book, then you can learn from that and move onto something that you do enjoy. If you relish every page from start to finish, then congratulations, you've got a keeper.

The point of this is that just because some new (or old) book is the current fad at the moment, doesn't mean that you have to like it just because everyone else does. By all means, give it a chance, and if you truly like it, then it's a win for everyone involved. If not, move on. Don't try to look for something that's not there, and instead go onto a book that you know you'll love.

But when that book's time has passed, and suddenly it's not so cool anymore, don't throw it away like it's trash. Stand by your decision. If you loved it before, chances are that you'll love it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! We love to hear from you all. Thanks for reading!

Gabby & Taylor